GPS Map of The Lakes

Posts pertainin to the trails at William H. Kain County Park (Lake Redman and Lake Williams) or any general information about the Park

GPS Map of The Lakes

Postby Glancing Aft » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:44 pm

I just recently got a Garmin Edge 800 and for the heck of it I decided to make a map of The Lakes to load on to it.
I thought I'd share it with all of you, see attached.
This file should work great on an Edge 800, Edge 705, Edge 605, and any mapping hiking Garmin GPS using with their topo maps, or open source topo from http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/. It should also work with some smartphone aps...
It's just in a draft stage at this point, so constructive criticism is definitely welcome. And yeah, I'm not responsible for you getting lost, and any of that type of stuff :lol:
If you need help getting it loaded on to your gps or anything just post up...
Attachments
The Lakes Map.gpx
(489 KiB) Downloaded 326 times
Glancing Aft

Re: GPS Map of The Lakes

Postby Spangaru » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:35 pm

Another great map! Thanks. It's a real help to those of us who are still trying to 'get the lay of the land'. I dumped them into TopoFusion with a combination of sat image and topo map. (Example .jpg below) They will be helpful for finding my way; especially when compared to those fine park trail maps.

One thing I found odd. When I download tracks from my Garmin ForeRunner, I get the elevation data in the .gpx and can get a track profile in TopoFusion. That data doesn't seem to have come over in these files. Not sure if that's a setting difference or an export choice. I'm guessing that you see your climbing and decending data on your GPS, so it must be there. Still makes a great map. Thanks again.
Attachments
Lakes.jpg
Servus,
Spangaru
-The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding. – Justice Brandeis, 1928
Spangaru

Return to The Lakes