The "Official" Un-Official Map of Rocky Ridge County Park

YAMBA documents including meeting minutes, maps, and flyers

The "Official" Un-Official Map of Rocky Ridge County Park

Postby diggingtrail » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:52 pm

Here you go folks. The map you've been waiting for. The best map of legal trails at Rocky Ridge County Park in York, including difficulty ratings. This is not an Official map sanctioned by the parks, hence the quotation marks on Official in the title. However, we really do believe that this is the best map available at this time. The map will be continuously updated as trail layout changes.

A big thanks to Will Weismantel for providing the GPS tracks and Charles Smith for the meticulous layout.

The %22Official%22 Un-Official Rocky Ridge County Park Map.jpg

88x31.png
88x31.png (5.33 KiB) Viewed 7466 times
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License
diggingtrail

Re: The "Official" Un-Official Map of Rocky Ridge County Par

Postby ScottyB » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:52 am

This map is great. Nice work.
ScottyB

Postby Sandie » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:25 am

Awesome. I actually just started working on making a new Rocky Ridge map because the old one was horrible. Now I don't have to. Thanks so much guys!
Any plans for a map of the Lakes? I was going to do that one too. The map that's out there now is horrible.
Sandie Reynolds
~Mason Dixon Velo/The Cycle Works
Sandie

Postby crsmithpe » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:25 am

I will do a Lakes map if I can find the time. I need gps tracks to start with though. Any volunteers?

Also, keep in mind that some of the trail signage in the field hasn't caught up with trail numbering on the map. They don't match exactly.
Charles Smith
crsmithpe

Postby Glancing Aft » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:50 am

crsmithpe wrote:I will do a Lakes map if I can find the time. I need gps tracks to start with though. Any volunteers?

Also, keep in mind that some of the trail signage in the field hasn't caught up with trail numbering on the map. They don't match exactly.

Charels,
Great job with the layout, it looks awesome!
Here is a file with GPS tracks I put together for the Lakes last year, http://yamba.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=454
Glancing Aft

Postby knobbysideup » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:35 pm

Very nice. Thanks to all those involved. Now you just need one for the other two parks :-)
:(){ :|:& };:
knobbysideup

Postby crsmithpe » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:22 pm

knobbysideup wrote:Very nice. Thanks to all those involved. :-)

OK, who are you, and what have you done with Greg?!?!?!?
Charles Smith
crsmithpe

Postby Sandie » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:23 pm

We need the trails marked with readable signs now. Most of those flexible green signs are torn down or completely missing at intersections. And if we could get a bunch of 'trail closed to horses signs' that would be great too. just kidding.

There are a few trails missing from the Rocky Ridge map. Were they just not added because they don't have a number assigned to them?
Sandie Reynolds
~Mason Dixon Velo/The Cycle Works
Sandie

Postby Glancing Aft » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:14 pm

Sandie wrote:There are a few trails missing from the Rocky Ridge map. Were they just not added because they don't have a number assigned to them?

Sandie, I think they are only showing the legal trails...

My 2 Cents on the trail map... I'm sure you guys discussed it a lot but I'm going to speak my mind anyway :)
I would change a few things. I would put trail 2 around the back of the park in as a green trail. Since that would give beginners an additional single track trail to try out I would turn 5A into a blue trail. I've seen beginners have a lot of problems on this trail, and while a lot of the buildups have go-arounds or have been removed since it first was built it's still a difficult trail. Lastly I would put rusty chair as a red trail. Since broken arrow is now there intermediates have a go around to still get from the back half to the front half of the park...
Glancing Aft

Postby kraft » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:12 pm

excellent!!!!
Do the thing that is hard to do and the power will come.
kraft

Postby danwalko » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:45 pm

Charles.. Nice job on the map. Finally we have a real map of the park!

Sandie...since this map was prepared for the Parks...only the legal trails are on it. Also...the Parks have said they will be installing more of the green carsonites at intersections and along the trails. I agree with you they aren't the best but the parks purchased a bunch of them so they will be using them. I guess something is better than nothing!
danwalko

Postby knobbysideup » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:25 pm

crsmithpe wrote:
knobbysideup wrote:Very nice. Thanks to all those involved. :-)

OK, who are you, and what have you done with Greg?!?!?!?

Greg sees value in many of the things that some members of YAMBA do. Unfortunately, he still doesn't like the way the club has gone the past 3 years or so. Not biking much anymore, anyway. Racing days are over. Maybe if I ever get a job closer to home again where I'm not commuting 2 hours every day.

The rivers are just too damned fun, anyway. We ran the Tohickon last weekend for the bi-annual release. Damn, that's a fun little creek! The savage rocked as well. Hoping to take the freeride down the Tohickon in the spring. Definitely looking to run ohiopyle falls next year. May need to add a creek-specific boat to the fleet :D
:(){ :|:& };:
knobbysideup

Return to Files